lichess.org
Donate

Good base openings that are easy to learn for the 1700+ rapid range?

I have only been using the queens gambit and some English variations since i have been 1500+ but I’m starting to think i need something new anyone got suggestions?
Why do you say you need something new? What's going wrong with the QG?

maybe try opening with 1.Nf3
There are a lot of ways for Black to respond to 1.e4. The Sicilian, the French, Alekhine's Defence, CaroKann, Pirc |Defence. If 1...e5 then what? Ruy Lopez?

Sp there is a lot you need to prepare for.

Maybe you buy Mastering the Chess Openings vol 1 by John Watson which is a pretty good survey book for 1.e4.
I pIay Richter Werresov attack D01 thats my favourite opening.Its aIways interesting because aImost every average pIayer has to improvise for not having studied theory. The d pawns opening Iike CoIIe , its something speciaI, you either cannot go wrong with them, Torre d4 and 2. bishop g5 is interesting too, its no such burden to Iearn. Such are openings not over-anaIyzed. London system is criticaI, since it got into focus of the top pIayers.
To improve your chances for actually meaningful answers, you should start with some pointers what kind of opening you are looking for to match your style, e.g. if you prefer to attack or rather defend, if you prefer sharp tactical fights or rather slow positional play, open or closed positions etc. Without that, everyone will just throw their favourite openings which is of little use, that way you could just open an opening book on a random page and the result would be about as relevant.
One needs to learn the balance between attacking and defending, as it's not a matter of simply preferring one over the other.
@fwh060a said in #4:
> ... Maybe you buy Mastering the Chess Openings vol 1 by John Watson which is a pretty good survey book for 1.e4.
I actually do not think so. For one thing, one will not find much about 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d4 exd4 4 Nxd4.
"... As I began work on this book it became obvious that even in two large volumes it wouldn't be possible to cover every opening, nor even the most significant variations of every opening, and still achieve the insights that I hoped to convey. ..." - IM John Watson (2006)
http://www.gambitbooks.com/pdfs/Mastering_the_Chess_Openings_volume_1.pdf
Instead of looking for a 1 e4 survey, perhaps one should consider a book like Opening Repertoire 1 e4.
www.newinchess.com/media/wysiwyg/product_pdf/7819.pdf
First Steps: 1 e4 e5 is, to some degree, a survey of 1 e4 e5.
www.newinchess.com/media/wysiwyg/product_pdf/7790.pdf
Yes, one or two volumes isn't enough, that's why he made it a four volume series. That's what he meant, as I see it.

Here's something from the chessbase.com review.
This is an opening book with a difference. Most opening books follow a common pattern, in which the ideas behind each variation are discussed to a greater or lesser extent, and then a great deal of detailed analysis is given. There are variations on this theme, for example some books give a complete coverage, while others take just one player’s point of view, but the basic concept doesn’t vary much.

Watson’s book offers a quite different approach, which is to familiarise chess players with the ideas that underlie the openings. Such a concept has been used before, but Watson takes it to a more sophisticated level, offering not only a detailed description of plans and ideas on an opening-by-opening basis, but also emphasising the interrelations between one system and another. We know we are in for something different when the first few chapters, up to page 86, describe the general principles of opening play without considering any particular opening in detail at all. Watson’s earlier books, such as Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy, have established a reputation for explaining fairly advanced concepts in simple terms, and that reputation will be preserved by these early chapters. We learn how opening ideas often apply not only to one particular opening, but across a whole range of openings, establishing a thread which Watson picks up at various stages of the book.

This book is recommended for those who like to focus on understanding openings rather than memory work and those who have little time to study opening theory; just don’t expect detailed analysis of every line.
@fwh060a said in #4:
> ... Maybe you buy Mastering the Chess Openings vol 1 by John Watson which is a pretty good survey book for 1.e4.
@kindaspongey said in #8:
>... I actually do not think so. For one thing, one will not find much about 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d4 exd4 4 Nxd4.
> "... As I began work on this book it became obvious that even in two large volumes it wouldn't be possible to cover every opening, nor even the most significant variations of every opening, and still achieve the insights that I hoped to convey. ..." - IM John Watson (2006) ...
@fwh060a said in #9:
> Yes, one or two volumes isn't enough, that's why he made it a four volume series. That's what he meant, as I see it.
> Here's something from the chessbase.com review.
> ....................................................
> ... don’t expect detailed analysis of every line.
How much do you see in ANY of the 4 volumes about 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d4 exd4 4 Nxd4 ? Yes, in volume 4, you do get ~5 pages for a section about the Petroff, but "many variations are necessarily omitted, and this coverage doesn't reflect the proportion in which they are played in practice", and, of course, you will not get that if you only buy volume 1.