lichess.org
Donate

WORLD CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH 2014,CARLSEN vs ANAND

after 26...Nxe5 how about 27.Rf4 ? looks like white wins back the pawn
I think it's safe to assume most of us amateurs saw 26. ...Nxe5. At least the people I corresponded with spotted the move.

I think it is one of the curses of being able to analyze any given position in such unfathomable depth to us amateurs, that one may sometimes dismiss even the most obvious of moves.
@ foytik

After 27. Rf4, 27. ...f5 simply leaves black with a pawn up and a better pawnstructure as well.
after 27.Rf4? f5 white gets in serious trouble, because the rooks can be trapped:
28.g3 Bf3 29.Rhh4 Rd8+ 30.Kc1 h5 31.Rh2 Bc6 32.Rfh4 Nf3 and again the desperado wins for black.
#52, yes Nxe5 was easy to spot, and had Anand taken more than 5 seconds to move he would have seen it...however, he blitzed out his blunder almost instanteneously because he never expected someone the caliber of Carlsen to make a slip-up like that. It wasn't the unfathomable depth of analysis that caused him to miss an obvious move, it was simple context. He was in a single mindset of holding a position and psychologically prepared to buckle down and defend for the vast majority of the foreseeable future. Under that circumstance, he was given a random chance to turn the position into a win and missed it by simply not looking for a very unexpected gift horse and instead quickly responded to a king move in the manner one would expect under any other positional circumstances (save for the one that occurred on the board). It was a matter of mindset not being clouded by calculations.
#55: hell yes it was Clarkey! I was absolutely amazed at how precise Vishy's play was throughout that endgame! If I ever need someone to hold down a fortress, I know who to hire to command those forces! hahaha
"It was a matter of mindset not being clouded by calculations."

he should see that he has the opportunity for a discovered attack. he should see that the rook is hanging. he should - as one of the best tacticians of the world - ALLWAYS keep in mind that the knight is a tactical weapon. this mistake is unforgivable, should he lose the match.

conclusion: never believe that the opponent knows something better than oneself ! allways look for hanging pieces and checks.
It's a good point Pipa, however he couldn't capture the pawn for many reasons until the king moved to the one square that made it tactically sound. Magnus realized he blundered immediately after moving the king. Vishy, however, likewise missed the blunder until after he responded. It is rather odd that both players took for granted that Nxe5 was unplayable for so many moves that they both missed a single king move that made it suddenly good for Vishy. However, as I said, it isn't a matter of missing a calculation, it's a matter of being locked in the mindset that "this pawn is safe" and forgetting about it. It just goes to show that even the highest caliber of players can make such human oversights.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.